Facetune Paintings.

Inspired by Cindy Sherman and Amalia Ulman, as part of my practice-based research, I have been experimenting with face tune as this represents the editing of the self that is done externally of Instagram.

I based the visual outcomes on some tropes, such as fertility etc, however I mainly drew reference from the ethnographic observations of Instagram face and the alien aesthetic of salvija, fecal matter etc, where the features look post-human.

Not only am I addressing cyborg theory through this post humanism, I also an using technology to do this, which is another aspect of this.

Interesting things to note:

• the technology is unbelievable
  • I got sucked into beauty standards for a while
  • This pushes the boundaries further than AR filters as the outcome is considered and deliberate as opposed to pre-set
  • Can be very funny
  • Felt way more like a type of dress than AR, as there was more creative choice involved

In comparison with my engagement with in-built AR filters, this felt way more intense as I had full control or warping my image. I went beyond subtle alterations to see how far I could push the aesthetic whilst still recognising it as my ‘self’ and surprisingly, I felt like this was more me than the AR filters, as it was unique to me and I had the control.

I’ve been writing about this in my thesis and might liken it to a kind of break through of uniform ways of dressing (which AR filters have become with Gen Z).

This entry was posted in Masters Project. Bookmark the permalink.