My 10 min Pitch for Digital Spa.

• Welcome to my pitch for ‘digital spa’.
  • Nine months ago, we were asked ‘what is fashion?’, I answered that Fashion is a reflection of the current social, economic and political climate and this is something I am mindful of.
  • Recently as a result of the global pandemic, The British Fashion Council announced a revolutionary gender-neutral, digital platform to replace the next twelve months of LFW, which will be built on as a global showcase for the future.
  • This transitional moment within the industry is indicative of a wider shift, not just in fashion showcasing, but in the entirity of ditital communication.
  • Originating from a research project exploring feminine identity projected through digital media, this was an initial breakdown of my ideas in which I mapped out key words and themes. These included: Future Technology, Beauty Ideals, Identity and Reality, which are all massive subjects in themselves.
  • With this in mind, I explored a second more focused pillar of research, examining digital marketing and its future path, in order to encompass aspects of each of the themes.
  • This is a diagram by Dave Chaffey who runs Smart Insights.com, this is recreated every year and details the current scope of digital marketing, interestingly it also shows how nothing is done in isolation, through infinite connectivity.
  • So this idea of infinite connectivity alongside constantly evolving marketing strategies really interested me as it was reflective of changing behaviours within consumers and users of digital media. Whilst conducting strategic research, I became interested in the ‘Fourth industrial revolution’ which describes the merging of digital, physical and biological realms. This looks at the effects of a piece of digital content and asks how does it make you feel? and How does that then translate into the formation of attitudes and behaviours? Essentially describing experience within a phygital world, which is the combination of physical and digital.
  • So with this in mind, my research area became more defined in terms of focusing on the way in which these online spaces are being used to re-define beauty ideals.

More specifically, I began to examine the digital aspect of beauty routines and the rise of skincare and self-care routines as well as market research into the way online spaces depict beauty products.

As part of the ongoing research for this project, I am analysing the Vogue beauty secrets series and identifying emerging themes, products and language which will inform my practical outcome. This is a word cloud which I generated from every title from the series so far, words like ‘glowing’ ‘perfect’ ‘effortless’ really struck me and became indicative of trends.

• Here we can see some evidence of the gathering of data which examines the ultimate goal of participants skincare routines.
  • And this is phenomenological research I gathered on participants personal beauty routines.
  • Using the concept of classic still life is a way I like to visualise these research findings, as seen here.
  • I have already developed a visual aesthetic as a media practitioner which involves the notion of referencing the past whilst exploring the future.
  • Caroline Evans identifies meaning within fashion imagery which, ‘stretches simultaneously back to the past and forward into the future’ and rather than being an end product, describes fashion media as, ‘fertile primary sources, [that] can generate new ideas and meanings and themselves carry discourse into the future’.
  • This articulates the primary outcome of this proposal as a practice-based research project which could lead to further lines of enquiry to be built upon. Looking at the future of media, long term in a speculative way.
  • With a focused outcome of a practice led research project in mind, practical experimentation resulted in imagery like these, referencing classic renaissance paintings and traditional ideas of beauty with the inclusion of iphones and prosthetics alluding to digital beauty ideals as well as the physical and virtual changing of the self in contemporary society.
  •  At this point it was important for me to clarify who it is my work is speaking to?

As this project speculates on future demographics, I utilised the current market to theorise on future demographics which allowed me to identify my audience.

• A select amount of emerging behaviours and values were identified and a five point trend report was created under the categories of :
  • Growing concern with Health and Wellness, Algorithmic Beauty, Sustainability as a mindset, User Generated Content and Personalised Experiences.
  • As part of the outcome for this project, these will be explored in greater depth, with a more objective approach through a detailed trend report which aims to identify new behaviours and enable the navigation of evolving future contexts.
  • Alongside this, the project will have a practical outcome, a short fashion film which speculates on and visualises the possibilities these rising trends are indicative of. The film involves exploring the changing landscape of media, inside which the traditional boundaries of beauty are being challenged and extended.
  • The metaphor of a Digital Spa has been applied as this seems most successful in encompassing multiple themes in one relatable material environment. Futurist James Canton speculated on a future spa which included “Botox treatment…cancer cells treatment… a great massage, a rigorous workout and even a few cybernetic enhancements for that hip that’s not been doing so good.”
  • The Narrative of a Digital Spa is a dual perspective short film observing a character using this ‘digital spa’ which will allude to the merging of medical, aesthetic and wellness practises. The Set is inspired by clinical waiting rooms and 1990’s spa aesthetics – similar to the a/w 2020 gucci runway set, as seen here on the right.
  • Set on a location I have shot at before, a drained Victorian pool, the space will be separated by certain pieces of furniture (similar to Kubrick’s 2001 A space Odessey) carpets, plants and clinical beds, showing lighting and wires, breaking the fourth wall.  
  • Parallel to this is the depiction of the users virtual experience, where we are introduced to virtual sanctuaries inspired by surreal natural landscapes which induce relaxation. Already we have seen a huge rise in similar Virtual Reality experiences during lockdown, from The Lavender Fields in Provence, to the Japanese Hot Springs.
  • This will stand in stark contrast to the physical aspect of the film, where we the audience observe the user navigating the physical space whilst in a virtual world.
  • Here is an example of virtual elements I have created in Unity 3D. This pink grass would only be viewable by the user and releases calming lavender scent when engaged with.
  • The spa will also include virtual photorealistic models of still life sets as seen on these plans.
  • This is an example of a Photogrammetry rig which I plan to use to create photorealistic models, here you can see a model I created of my cat.
  • I will use this alongside a motion capture suit to replicate the users human movement. This will be used to create virtual versions of the user – in the same style seen here – referencing heightened personalisation, performativity and multiple identities.  
  • In terms of shooting style, slow panning shots and fixed point zooms with quick switches between perspectives will allow for tension to be built. Multiple shots of the same person re-imposed as well as references to selfies, memes and other user generated content is suggestive of the ‘other’ without another character being physically present.  
  • With regards to styling, I have secured these three designers who explore similar themes and visually compliment the aesthetic.
  • Concerning this projects unique selling point and where it would sit within the industry, a distinct pathway is that it offers an interesting angle to the fashion show experience.
  • With the global pandemic halting physical fashion shows and a virtual response from brands across the globe, the future of fashion showcasing is under intense scrutiny and the current discourse surrounding new media and experience is particularly relevant. A project rooted in the analysis, creation and communication of a phgital experience would sit very well within this evolving sector.
This entry was posted in Digital Concept and Strategy Unit. Bookmark the permalink.