Itai Tutorial 27/05/20.

My tutorial with Itai was very helpful and has provided me with some tools and steps to push my project further, beyond a superficial and general speculation of beauty. He pointed out that my themes and the terms I used are still too broad (I have had trouble focusing my ideas and refining them throughout my entire academic experience). The general terms I refer to need to be focused and formalise my research question!

Itai introduced me to the term phenomenology and helped me clarify that my interests lie in experience rather than representation. He said that my current advertisement plan didn’t sit well with my initial ideas and core themes. When speaking about future aspirations after this course, Itai spoke about different options such as a practical outcome suitable for becoming an image maker vs a dissertation which would work if I wanted to be a researcher, he then spoke about an ‘in-between’ for a job such as a brand consultant. I told him that my dream job was with the Future Laboratory, a future consultancy, so this was really interesting for me to hear. Therefore my outcome will most definitely be a balance of practical and theoretical through an objective survey of industry. I will use the critical framework of phenomenology to refine my work and reconsider the final outcome. I also need to clarify exactly what it is that interests me about beauty, as it is such a broad term. I also need to bear in mind the title of my course is media production, so I need to be careful not to slip too much into cosmetic science or product design. Itai suggested looking at documentaries and this would be a good way of including interviews in my methodology.

LOTS TO DO!

This entry was posted in Digital Concept and Strategy Unit. Bookmark the permalink.