Reflective Statement – Mar.

I am still focusing on the future of beauty, particularly the intersection of beauty, science and technology with these notions of content, commerce and advertising merging together. I have been researching a lot of 1990s fashion shows for my collaborative unit and have realised that my love of fashion came from it being the most visceral medium with which to communicate a social ideology. I am pondering how to incorporate the political themes into my work, I feel it is important to comment on socio-political themes as fashion is a symptom of our environment. As I previously mentioned I would like to collaborate with other working class creatives, creating collaborative opportunities outside of London. I want to communicate to both groups of people and translate across the two worlds -the buoyancy between class systems. I think I will start by thinking who is it I want to have a conversation with? Who is it I what to attract? What is the message I want to send? Then think backwards – what is the correct platform or mechanism for me to do that?

Research wise I have been focusing mainly on Literature and steering clear of found objects or existing imagery and as its so easy for this to find its way into design via the subconscious and I am not becoming pre occupied with aesthetic. Marshall McLuhan’s theories of ‘understanding media’ such as ‘the medium is the message’ and the ‘rear-view mirror theory’ have massively informed my work in terms of nostalgia coinciding with futurism. This resonated with me and reflects my concepts.

I have been thinking about digital experiences referencing the past and future (including still life paintings and renaissance art) – finding the balance. I will experiment with cinema 4d software, photogrammetry and using old style cameras / equipment to 3d scan and address that contrast of technology as I would really like to experiment with new technologies and perhaps create digital landscapes / fantasy and surreal 360 worlds once I am able to again. I want to create a speculative fashion film, asking questions and communicate a narrative – I will continue with moving portraits (looking at the mono-aesthetic) and focusing on styling and locations which communicate a narrative and tell a story. Essentially I am interested in designing experiences and imagining ways of being.

This entry was posted in Digital Concept and Strategy Unit. Bookmark the permalink.