The beauty of vintage horror film sets.

As I’m exploring sets, I thought it important to include sets from horror films, as this feeds into my work. I find most contemporary horror films underestimate the audiences artistic intelligence, with obvious jump scares and cliche plot lines. I have been inspired by old horror film sets from the 50s through to the 80s, due to their eerie beauty.

The Shining (1980)
The Shining (1980)

Set inside a labyrinth American hotel. Vibrant colours, polished floors, tall windows (scale is very important), geometric printed carpets. Contrasting real with surreal. The colours used reflects the mood of the character.

“The set generates tension not through claustrophobia and dark spaces, but with high ceilings and lonely expanses.”

Den of Geek – Media Company
Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

The set is very domesticated as it is set in a New York apartment block, pastel vintage colours, mixed interior textures and homely furnishings are vital to the set. I’ve seen a few horror films set in a domesticated 50s/60s environment and find it to be very enthralling.

Suspiria (1977)
Suspiria (1977)

Set at a prestigious dance academy in Berlin. Geometric 70’s interiors with vibrant colours. The lighting and set from this film reminds me of Catholic churches – something which I am very interested in exploring more.

This entry was posted in Fashion Media Laboratory Unit. Bookmark the permalink.